Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Your Vote Matters

Guilty Pleasures, we've all got them. But today, in honor of Election Day, I am going to give you the opportunity to vote on which one I will let go! This is as real as it gets, people, so let your voice be heard!

GP#1. Star Wars. Down in my own "Sithsonian," I've accumulated enough SW SWAG (stuff we all get) from all over the place, but this ride has gone on for about as far as it can go. Sadly. If you vote here, you are voting that I will take the top 21 items of my collection to keep, and EVERYTHING else will be sold or given good homes to collectors. 21, you say, that's an odd number? It's my fave, and from the proceeds, I'm thinking a pretty nice sound system can compliment my movie habit!

GP#2. American Idol. Every year from its beginning, I've given a lot of time to following the highs and lows of America's finest (and infamous) crooners! Much love goes out to Kelly, Ruben, Fantasia and a little to Carrie, who's got a bit of attitude...but her version of Alone still gives me goosebumps. Anyway, a vote to eradicate this GP will mean NO AMERICAN IDOL all season long, and only watching the last 30 minutes of the finals. (This same thing happened when I purged Survivor from life). You're thinking, this isn't hard...why bother? My answer is a (sheepishly) given, "I love this show, so much so that I am about to tell you something not many of you know...I have been to a concert." There you go, now you know how much of a sacrifice this will be.

GP#3 Not a DIYourselfer. I am not a do it yourselfer...I hate handy projects that have anything to do with hammers, glueing, toolbelts, almost anything that's not a gadget that you might find at a Home Depot or Lowe's. If it's not from Target or IKEA, I'm probably not going to get into doing it. I take great pride in not being interested in getting my hands dirty. But your vote to do away with this GP will bring a change. A vote here will mean I have to attend 3 classes at the aforementioned HP or Lowe's, and use the skill that I learn at one of the classes to better Stately Young Manor. This is going to be tough...if I had a choice to install a garage door opener or go to the dentist, I would go to the dentist. Seriously.

GP#4 Phil Collins. Easy Lover, In the Air Tonight, Something Happened on the Way to Heaven...on second thought, I'm taking this off the ballot. Sorry, I just can't give up PC.

Alright, polls close at midnight, and majority rules, no matter what. And you can only vote once!

ps. Make sure you vote for real, in the real election today.

pps. Almost scored in soccer last night, so close, baby! There were so many hands on me from the other team, I feel like I'm owed at least a couple of dinners.

19 comments:

Kelli said...

of course, i'm going to have to go with the most challenging one. my vote goes to #3... it's about time you get those little hands dirty! :)

JavaBoy said...

Dirty hands, warm heart!

laurielea82 said...

This is tough. If I choose SW Swag, that destroys some major making fun of you ammunition. If I choose American Idol, then who can I share this GP with? (wow you've been to a concert? you are nuts). And if I pick three...well I guess picking 3 just makes Target and IKEA sad. And actually, sometimes its just more efficient to buy things already made rather than geting your little hands dirty.

So....I'm thinking 1. I can still make fun of the 21 items you keep and you'll make others really really happy when they add your collection to their collection. And a sound system would be pretty neat. Really, does this one hurt you at all? Nonetheless, its my vote. =)

JavaBoy said...

A very scholarly and legally minded answer; I see how tough it was to diminish your ammunition. The parts of my collection that are older than you, though, will probably not be amused =)!

laurielea82 said...

If you don't have 21 pieces older than me, you should keep those. That way they are more amused. If you have more than 21 pieces older than me, then that convinces me more that it might be time to part with your toys. Even the "unamused ones."

Oh and perhaps therapy rather than the sound system makes sense? ;)

Just kidding. Maybe Jill will buy them on ebay and give them all back to you for Christmas.

JavaBoy said...

Don't you have homework to do?

Anonymous said...

Of course I can't vote for #1, unless you plan on donating to the collection of your oldest friend...so instead, I'll vote w/ the wife. It's time to learn how to install a garage door opener! GP #3! Besides, it'll save you money in the long run so that you can add to GP #1 or a stereo as you see fit.

Anonymous said...

My vote is for #2, give up some TV, dude! My only question is -- what are you going to do with said free time -- I am proposing that you go a step further and fill it with something that is not at all TV related. :)

Anonymous said...

Your fascination with Star Wars and collection of Star Wars paraphernalia might fall into the category of obsession, however it is a little piece of American nostalgia unlike American Idol, which is a flash in the pan. I’m not going to berate you for not being handy around the house – even though that could be a really good thing.
Dump the American Idol and find a more constructive use of an hour of your time each week – like spending more time with your wife!

JavaBoy said...

All good thoughts indeed B, B, and K.

If said oldest friend wants some of said SW SWAG, he's gonna pony up with the rest of the nerds that are salivating on some tasty treats in my collection. And having someone put up a garage door opener really isn't saving all that much money, you save more by not buying a sports car you can't drive for 3 or so years.

B and K, you speak the truth. Giving over AI would allow alot more time for reading/wife time/house projects??!!, so I like where you're headed with that.

crazykarl7 said...

This will have to be an absentee ballot.

Trading SW for home theater isn't really a sacrifice. You are gaining gadgets that you love.

Vote for #3. Take some classes and build your own deathstar subwoofer for a soundsystem!

Sign2Jill said...

This is tough for me....

I'm fine with #1. You know me! I'm always trying to throw stuff away.

I'm fine with #2. I don't really like how slow the captions are...

I think I really like #3 best. I've always wanted to see you become a little bit more of a handyman.

And to add my personal request...

How many of you think I should have a puppy?

Val said...

Vote #3 (but I'm being swayed by the masses)

And Yes Jill should have a Puppy!!!

Shayna Willis said...

My vote goes to number 1 . . .

Shayna Willis said...

Oh and if you want a puppy, there are some dogs that don't cause allergies in allergy sufferers. I vote for a puppy.

Jill said...

ok, so i'm a little late and my vote may not count now, but i have to vote for american idol. you will be surprised at how much extra time you have if you give up that show! i realized this when i quit watching the bachelor a few seasons ago :)!

JavaBoy said...

It's never too late to vote...plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be a recount...

and how did we get on the subject of puppies?!?

McCoy family said...

Puppies, puppies! Ok, since I just read this (really some people have more to do than just read blogs, hahaha, ok, just kidding), I'm voting for Star Wars. It takes up time AND space. How about that for a reason?!?!

Shayna Willis said...

But I think if you sell the collection, you should give the proceeds to charity. Now that's a sacrifice . . .